Wednesday, December 16, 2009

You Can't Be Serious


One of my favorite shows from my childhood is Animaniacs. I've recently been re-watching clips of this show, and I've realized just how much of it is intended for adults.

Many of the characters that appear in the skits on the show are caricatures of entertainers who were popular before I was born. I can't believe that these were put in to make children laugh. If you look carefully, you can find images of Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Deforest Kelley, Jerry Lewis, and others. If these names don't sound familiar to you, it's because they are from a previous era.

Many of the characters in the cartoon were also aware that they were cartoons, and would often interact with the television show's audience (whoever happens to be watching it). This is called breaking the fourth wall. There was even a character, Slappy Squirrel, who was training her nephew on how to be a better cartoon character.

Perhaps the most famous characters ever to come from Animaniacs are Pinky and the Brain. Pinky and the Brain were two lab mice who wanted to take over the world. Brain was a genius who had the mental power to create wild inventions that might help him take over the world. However, his plans were foiled by Pinky, a much less intelligent mouse, who was always more concerned with what was on television or what random thoughts popped into his head. They aren't ever successful in their task, but the adventure makes a great cartoon.

If you want to watch a cartoon that is old but still brilliant, Animaniacs is for you.

Vocabulary

I've - I have
intended - to have something planned for a certain purpose
skits - short, often funny, segments of a variety show
caricatures - exaggerated images of famous people
can't - can not
don't - do not
fourth wall - the imaginary wall separating the audience from what they're watching (television, film, and theater)
aren't - are not

Vocabulary Activity

A ________ of Angelina Jolie might show her with enormous lips, narrow eyes, and carrying twelve children.
If you ______ take the heat, get out of the kitchen!
I ________ think we can pass our test without studying.
The film was supposed to be a comedy, but it did not make people laugh as ________.
______ you going to go to the store?
I enjoy the funny ________ when I watch Saturday Night Live.
_______ almost finished my project and I think it will be good.
When the actress talks to you during the play, she is breaking the ________.

Grammar Point

Contractions shortened forms of other words that we use on a regular basis. Words like "don't," "aren't," and "I've" are some contractions I use often. If you pay attention, you'll find that people use contractions in speech, even when they don't realize it. Why don't you try and write with contractions?

For more contractions, click here.

1 comment:

  1. My son used to like Animaniacs, so I remember watching them frequently.

    Good work here on contractions!

    ReplyDelete