Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Morning Routines

Morning Routines




Do you ever find yourself at school wondering where your morning went? Sometimes we take for granted the little things that make us fresh and ready to learn in for school. This morning, while pondering the way we automatically move through our daily routines, I decided to mentally narrate my morning schedule.

"I am brewing a pot of coffee. I love coffee. It tastes delicious. I am admiring the flowers in my yard while I drink it. Next, I am showering. I am enjoying the fruity scent of my favorite soap. Now I am drying off. While I am dressing, I am thinking about another cup of coffee. Next, I am brushing my teeth.

"At this moment, I realize I am running late. I am rapidly combing my hair and tying it into a bun. I am making toast while I prepare a second cup of coffee. After quaffing the coffee, I am putting on a pair of flats. I am grabbing my keys and darting for the door."

This is not the first time I've narrated my routine while performing these tasks. Sometimes, after a night dealing with insomnia, I find myself narrating my morning in my head to remind myself what comes next. It keeps me alert before the caffeine in my coffee begins working. Being exhausted has that kind of effect on me.

About Present Progressives

Watch this video to learn the basics behind using present progressives.


Why don't you try this activity to practice using present progressives?


Vocabulary:

pondering (to ponder): to think about something in a dreamy way

automatically: to do something without the need to think about it (i.e. something you do all the time, like make coffee)

mentally: inside your own mind

narrate: to speak about yours or someone else's actions, like a story teller

admiring (to admire): to look at something with affection

scent: an odor or aroma, usually one that is pleasing

rapidly: quickly, fast

quaffing: to drink a beverage deeply

darting (to dart): to run quickly

insomnia: the inability to sleep

exhausted: very tired

Activity:

1: The late train was moving ________ to get to it's next stop on time.

2: I listened to my teacher ________ the fairy tale out loud to the class.

3: Her perfume's ________ smelled delightful.

4: After I spent ten hours moving furniture, I was ________.

5: Seth's friends watch him ________ for the bank door so he can get inside before they closed.

6: I never look for a price tag while I am ________ pretty clothes.

7: I ________ took note of an idea I had so I could write it down later.

8: I am watching a man ________ his soda, and wondering if it will make him burp.

9: I have ________, so sometimes I cannot get to sleep at night.

10: I suddenly realized I was cooking spaghetti at eight in the morning. Without realizing the time, I must've ________ started to cook dinner.

4 comments:

  1. The photo is great. I think the video is pretty good. Occasionally, she gives too much information, and I would like to see more of the explanation actually on the board. We'll have to try making our own video in class.

    By the way, I was able to see the whole screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea of mental narration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a descriptive photograph for the mood you are depicting in your post. As someone who is not a morning person, but is looking forward to a career as an early riser, I can certainly empathize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading an article in Cosmo magazine that was one somewhat of the same topic. It had to do with adjusting your morning routine to wake up earlier. Rather than setting your alarm an hour earlier, to gradually set ur alarm earlier as to not shock yourself in the morning when you finally realize your awake an hour earlier then normal. This gives your body time to adjust. Just something I thought about while reading this entry, when you were narrating that you were running late for your day.

    ReplyDelete